Monday 16 December 2013

The War on Christmas

A couple of years ago at Christmastime, I was in line at a large, well-known retailer, waiting to make my purchases.  The store was packed, it being a week or so before Christmas.  

 
I noticed something that sounded out of place, and it took me a moment to place it: the cashier was wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.  
 

It struck me as odd, as virtually every restaurant and store out there typically opts for "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" at this time of year, instead of "Merry Christmas," – a nearly universal practice, I should add, that affects my life and my walk with Jesus in absolutely no way whatsoever. 

 
Sure enough, a manager of some type came over and very gently corrected the cashier: "I'm sorry, hon, but we need to say 'Happy Holidays.'  It's corporate policy, and we don't have a choice."

 
The cashier was annoyed.  "But I celebrate Christmas.  And it IS Christmas.  We celebrate Jesus at this time of year."
 

The manager was patient - her hands were tied.  "I know, but not everyone does, and we have a corporate policy that we have to follow."

 
The cashier was fuming, and the manager finally moved along.  "MERRY CHRISTMAS," she continued to growl to every customer.  She was obviously making a point.  "MERRY CHRISTMAS," she snarled at me as I arrived for my turn.  "This is ridiculous.  Stupid politically correct nonsense.  It's CHRISTMAS.  I will NOT let ANYONE tell me to stop celebrating Jesus."

 
And with that, another round of the great “War on Christmas” was over.  I'm not exactly sure who won - but it was over.

 
We hear a lot about the War on Christmas at this time of year.  Apparently, Jesus is being pushed out of the conversation, and Christians are being persecuted, all because we want to celebrate Jesus’ birthday.
 

Interesting, though….the last time I checked, the vast majority of Canadians still do celebrate Christmas.  The government has put no limitations on the celebration of Christmas for citizens, and the entire nation still takes December 25th as a federal holiday, even those who don't celebrate Jesus personally.

 
Yes, many businesses do ask their employees to take a more multicultural approach to the holidays, understanding that some citizens are Jewish, Muslim, etc. - "Happy Holidays" is a true enough statement - there are many different holidays being celebrated at this time of year.


"Well, if I were in Israel, I would expect them to celebrate Hanukkah.  If I were in India, I wouldn't get all uptight if people wished me a Happy Diwali.  I wouldn't get mad if Muslims celebrated Ramadan while I was in Saudi Arabia."  We've heard this before.

 
And it is certainly true.  I agree 100%.  And yet - at the same time - if I was living as an evangelical Christian in India, I would nonetheless consider it a wonderful courtesy if the citizens there didn't angrily try to force me to acknowledge their holiday.  Were they to be considerate that I was different from them, I would consider it a beautiful show of hospitality and kindness.
 
 
What is more - and this really is the more important part - most businesses are not Christian businesses.  They are secular.  Thus, it is not their job to proclaim Christ at Christmastime.  That job lies solely in the hands of the believer.  It is our job to keep the "Christ" in "Christmas."  And if the Church is really depending upon secular corporations to acknowledge and proclaim Jesus for us – even if they don’t believe in Him - then I think we have missed out on a major part of our mission.  


I have a theory: Jesus told us that we would be persecuted (Mt 5:12; Jn 15:20).  And yet, in Canada, we really aren't persecuted at all.  So, some have grabbed onto any affront that they can find, and held it up as true persecution.  But it's really not the same.  This year, Christians in Pakistan were murdered by the dozens when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a church just as services were emptying on a Sunday morning.  That is not the same as a store clerk wishing me "Happy Holidays!" instead of "Merry Christmas."  First-world problems, right? 

 
And as a side note - I'm not sure that growling and snarling about Christmas is the most effective way to impress those outside the faith.  Were I them, I don't think I would want to join that club. There are many people out there who do not believe or acknowledge Jesus as Lord.  Trying to force them to acknowledge Him has proven to be a very poor method of evangelism in Church history, and in its extreme, has occasionally led to horrific things (e.g. the Crusades). Arm-twisting, anger, and frustration are poor ways to share the Gospel of love, indeed!   
 

So, God bless Canada!  We are a multicultural, incredibly free nation, where many different perspectives are given permission to be explored.  I believe in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and I truly hope and pray that everyone will find the joy in following Him that I have, and the salvation that He offers.  It is a wonderful time of year to celebrate Jesus, and everything that His birth means for a hurting and broken world.    


So, MERRY CHRISTMAS!  


I say that, because it is my job to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment